START 12:00 20.08
VALGA (Train Station)
TIME LIMIT 7 DAYS
FINISH 12:00 27.08
TALLINN (Bicycle Studio JOOKS)
817 km / 4300 m
80€ (04.05 - 12.08)
Your name at the list
Carefully scouted route
Numbered cycling cap
Food at IDU Telliskivi
Beer & Afterparty
(Bicycle Studio Jooks)
Route Master Dima Maletskiy about the route:
After making many bikepacking trips and trying different routes all over Estonia I have some picturesque places and interesting ways to connect them. I have divided the route in 4 sections. Maybe it will be comfortable for you as well.
For this race I recommend either drop bar gravel with 700c tires and at least 38 width. You will also be comfy on 650b x 47. Same time any flat bar 29er on 2.1 tires will work. Anyhow. Take whatever bike you have and enjoy!
Section 1. Valga - Koidula
Starting valga you can expect very wide south gravel roads with mellow uphills. They beautifully float through the forest and have fast parts through the field which is a major part of this section. Gravel and forest roads are mixed with pavement which amount in this section is up to 32%. The remaining 68% are gravel and forest roads. The route on this section passes through several camp spots where you’ll be able to get some rest. Also several shops are expected closer to the second part of this section. CP of this section is located in Koidula area.
Section 2. Koidula - Jõgeva
This section passes through three National reserve forest areas and a bigger town Põlva. Amount of paved roads is 28%. In the beginning of the section you can expect many forest roads with high pine forests. Roads in this area might be a bit sandy in dry conditions. After Põlva you will have the beautiful Taevaskoja area which involves hike-a-bike for a bit. This section does not have many shops, but there are big ones in Põlva and Jõgeva. Also some smaller ones in between, which are harder to find. After Taevaskoja roads are changing from forest doubletracks to packed gravel. Closer to Tartu you can expect some paved sections and after that, a mix of gravel and field roads. CP is located in Pedassaare camping area. Through the route there are several places where you can camp and route passes through them.
Section 3. Jõgeva - Kunda
Right after the start of this section you will enter Endla national reserve with blue springs. After the first 60km you will have a shop in Rakke. Please do research on the route and check further shops and their working hours. This part is 21% paved and everything else is either forest double tracks or gravel. Areas in between small towns are pretty rural so wild animals can be expected. Highlight of the route is Aidu quarry, where you’ll have to use small ferries and do some hike-a-bike. Please be careful in this area. It’s pretty beautiful, though physically hard one. CP of this section is also located in Aidu. After Kiviõli it becomes pretty flat and you will easily roll into Kunda.
Section 4. Kunda - Tallinn
From Kunda there is a pretty long stretch of pavement. Try to enjoy it because next time you’ll see it after Tapa and not for so long. In between you can expect bay area sand roads, nice forest double tracks, riverside double track and field roads near Tapa. After Tapa you will slowly enter Harjumaa and a nice gravel road that we have in this area. You’ll pass through Põhja-Kõrvemaa nature reserve through forest double tracks and a couple single tracks. This area is great for camping and swimming. After that you can expect the shop in Kuusalu and one more in Koogi. After it there is the final stretch to the finish. You won’t suffer from hardcore singletracks because i made it easyrolling entrance to Tallinn. By the way the pavement amount on this route is 34%. CP is located on the finish line at Jooks.
The competition is completely self-sufficient. This means that the use of the team and outside assistance is not allowed, all necessary equipment must be carried by the rider. You can use the services available to everyone, such as shops and eateries. The same applies to overnight stays, it is allowed to use hotels, but not overnight stays at home, cottage or with friends.
Longer information letter one week before the trip.
Pelago Kõkõva 800 is a fixed route, self-supported, single-stage cycling race through breathtaking Estonian wilderness. The race starts on 20th of August from the South-Estonian border town Valga, heading east and going up along Peipsi until reaching the sea, from there towards the capital. The 800 km route follows gravel, single and double track roads with some off-road sections. Racers can ride solo or as a pair and to be a finisher you need to arrive in Tallinn before the afterparty on 27th of August.